Your Boat Photos
Älv-Vira vehicle ferry at Lindholmen, Gothenburg
Photographed on 7 March 2008.
This is a double ended ro-ro ferry for either cargo traffic or passenger traffic, originally built for Vägverket in 1954 at Bröderna Larssons Varv in Kristinehamn, with the name Alnö 2. It started to operate at Alnö before the Alnö Bridge was built. After a change of name to Färja 190 it operated on the routes over Ångermanälven. When the ferry was purchased by Styrsöbolaget in 1979 the name was changed to Vira and the ferry was used to transport vehicles in the south archipelago. In 2003 it was rebuilt to a combination ferry and got the name Älv-Vira. Length 28.20 m and a beam of 8.09 m with a strengthened hull for icy conditions. The loading capacity is 60 tonnes. Two Volvo Penta TAMD122 engines with a total output of 760 hp drive one reversible propeller at each end of the ferry. The service speed is 11 knots. The maximum passenger capacity is 300, of which 34 will be offered a seat.
Picture added on 08 March 2008
Bröderna Larssons Varv, Sweden